Saturday 17 October 2009

In search of the goodlife

Today I tried my hand at making nut taffy, the recipe comes from Jan Orchard's "The Hedgerow Harvest". Although a quick and easy recipe I managed to overboil the syrup leaving the toffee with a slightly burnt though not unpleasant aftertaste. I think the colour of the toffee would have looked more golden had I done the job properly. To be more thrifty I wanted to forage the hazel nuts but learnt too late that the optimal period for picking was around September14th. Consequently the early squirrel had beat me to the hazel nuts so mine were shop bought which made the cost more expensive than I would have liked. Not to be put off I'm going to try another of Jan's recipes from natures storehouse, fingers crossed the elderberry wine will be a success come christmas time. Watch this space.

1 comment: